Wednesday 6 April 2016

We can but try.

Hi every one.
I will be keeping this up to date as much as possible. I had let it slide as I have been busy, but I have been surprised at the amount of people kids and adults that have an interest in what I get up to. 
So keep the feed back coming it's always great to hear from you all.

Back to the fishing, well attempts at fishing.
The winter has been hard on us this year and there has been little or no let up in the weather. 
But the small breaks we have had myself and others have been trying. 
Since Darren , one of the shore lads had been catching some ray from the shore and there was no where else fishable I had to give it ago. 
It was off to Lough Swilly with kayak newbee Georgie. 
The times where pick and a few hours near the top of the flood tide were decided on. 

On the anchor
We tandem anchored as it's a bit much to try and anchor on your first trip or 2. 
So anchored up and lines in. I had sandeel with Bio Edge squid potion on them, mackerel and squid.
Georgie was using sandeels. 
The tide was not overly strong but again it was very cold out there. 
We were there about an hour before the first bite came to my rod. The usual first pounce on the bait followed by some shuffling around. I gave him a minute and lifted hard into a decent enough fish. No beast but more than a tiddler. She gave a good scrap and came along side after making the most of the tide to get away. 

 So I was delighted with a reasonable thornie of 6lb and the dreaded blank was averted.
 Soon after that mr.dogfish appeared, I think this is the only time of year we are glad to see them appear. They can be relentless in the summer.
 On the bitter cold day that it was I would have been happy enough with that, but there was more to come. This nicely marked also devoured the sandeel in squid potion and made a fine brace.
The tide turned and that was it. Georgie was more getting to grips with kayak angling rather than the fishing and is all set for the next trip out. We had some anchoring practice on the way in and he's all set for the next day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment