Wednesday 6 April 2016

It's not easy out there.

Hi everyone.
It has been a while since I have put a report up.
Not that I have not been trying, it's just there is not alot about.
The weather has been terrible since last October but I have a had a few runs out. 
Nothing amazing but I did  have a good time, from getting near frozen in Ards fishing for pike to get tossed around like a little cork on those lumpy breezy days.

My trip to Belfast looking for crocs.
Lucky for me us kayak anglers pass fishing info back and forward and when the chance arises we visit each other to see what we can catch.
As the angling show was on in Dublin and I was going sure how could I pass all those lakes wit out giving them a try. 
So a few extra days off work and I was set to visit Mike Sherwood for some pike Action. Yes at a secret venue, as all pike venues are lol.
I had planned to meet mike at a lake and with the weather being terrible and snow on the roads on the way down I was about 30mins late. Mike was out already and the bugger had gone for heat over kayak and had the boat out. He was wrapped up like a mummy lol. 
Out we went and fished a breezy very cold lake. There was a lot of sleet melt flowing into the lake and the pike were sulking and sitting very low in the water and we didn't get a tap all day.

We don't give up easily.
We it was back to Mike's place to have a rethink and come up with a plan B.
Well to inspire us we had to call to Brian and see his monster aquarium. 
Gobsmacked is an understatement. He has can fish over 20lb in it, plus lots more. So fish talk and a few beverages plan B was sorted.
The next day came and it was even colder than the first day, but we were going regardless. 
Out on another secluded lake I was raring to go and I had 1 rod set with a herring for slow trolling and the other rod got a storm curly tail lure with a good rub of sardine Bio Edge this lure has good action trolled slow.  
As it was cold that was my plan, very slow and see what happens. 
Out for a slow troll and I had not gone 100yards and I had a half hearted hit on the herring. 
That was dropped and the lure was trolled over the area and bang he/she grabbed it. A nice scrap and I had at least 1 pike of 7.5lb for my efforts. I know he doesn't look it.
But it was not going to improve from then on. Myself and Mike fished the rest of the day and we had several jacks under 2lb and that was it. No beasts that trip but sure we will be back.
Hopefully when its warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment