Thursday 21 November 2013

Ocean kayak prowler 13, review

Ocean kayak prowler 13, review
Hi all welcome to my review of the prowler 13.
I bought this kayak some years ago and fished it for near 3 years.
I have to say I really liked this kayak, it was fast enough on the water, tracking was quiet good and had lots of storage and comfortable.
 
                   Here was my new kayak the day it landed, My son Craig had to try it out for size.
                                         He was chased out before he got to comfortable lol.

On the water
On the water this kayak is easy paddled and quiet stable. I can comfortably paddle at 3knots with out busting a gut. It comes with 2 built in rod holders that are quiet good.
It is not bad for pushing through small surf, but is dificult to surf back in.
The only disadvantage I found was not having some where to gear safely away when making a rough landing. But thats what the ocean kayak trident is for.
                         
                                    Pic taken by a friend of mine Sean O'Carrol
Tracking.
The only time I have any hassle is when I have a strong breeze from behind it has a habit of trying to swing in the wind. But that's just kayaks for you you could add a rudder but in my view it is not necessary

Comfort
The seating is not bad at all and I find it good for long sessions [8hrs plus] But friends of mine haven't found it as comfortable but with a comfy foam seat they seemed quiet happy.
As this kayak came with rod holders already in a good position there wasn't much for me to add, I just added a fish finder and made some rod holders for the rods when in fishing position.
This kayak is not to heavy at 28kg and can be put on to the roof of your car with out any help.
Just watch yourself on a breezy day as its easy to bang the car with 13ft of kayak swinging about.
Along day afloat and a total of 24 spurdogs, 5 ling, 1 codling and 1 good whiting.
You need comfort when out for along day of this action.
                                      
Heres my well used kayak ready for sale and went to its new owner with many years of kayaking left in it. I only sold it so I could get the trident 13 for the center console, for rough landings.

Over all.
Over all I found this kayak a really nice kayak very reasonably priced and if you where never going to make a surf landing I don't see any reason why this kayak couldn't do you for all your kayak fishing.
In short its easy enough paddled, good on a lumpy day, handles moderate surf well is even ideal on small lakes.
So if your looking for an angling kayak in my view it really is a kayak to have a look at and if possible try before you buy, if your over 6ft tall the prower 15 may be a better choice for you.
I hope this has helped you.
So untill next time tight lines and stay safe.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete