Thursday 5 December 2013

Fish galore at killybegs, Donegal.

Tell us about your catch

                        

In this spot there isn't normally much else but wrasse and since I had not rag I carried on to a more mixed species ground.
2 rods in orange muppets on one and the euro champ on the other.
I didn't have to wait long and the doggies started, there where loads of them. but not a lot else, I bashed them for a while and while I was at that I got another 2 cuckoo wrasse and a ballen wrasse, I had the ballen on brown shrimp, a shore angler told me they where deadly at times down there. I just had the one on them but I will try them more in futher.
With the fishing starting to quiten down I headed out to the deep look for the whiting. Killbegs is great for good whiting but it has to be the hardest place in the country to catch them, I was given a herne bay spreader by shamrock tackle to try and I was raring to try it on this venue as it seemed to be the job. 
 
 
                                
I changed the hooks to the cox and rawle octopus hooks as they seem better for self hooking.
 
They didn't disappoint, they where deadly with the spreader, I was getting good whiting on every drop and one drop I had a full house of nice whiting. And the doggies where coming thick and fast also.

                             
 

With that the swell was getting up and the 8ft swell forecast seemed to be wright once I drifted past the shelter of the point. So I beat a hasty re-treat back to the shore line for more doggie and herring hunting,
In I went and the doggies where still about and I went on to catch, codling, a small ling, pout, poor cod some mackerel. But by now it was getting cold and there was no sign of the herring. I upped anchor and headed for home only to see a lovely big black shape on the fish finder. I soon warmed up and down wen the herring rigs and with a bit of very gentle jigging I was onto the herring it was great craic and managed 35 in the end and some more mackerel.
                      
                        This was my kayak at the end of an hours jigging.
 
                          

Well until the next time heres a short vid of the day and tight lines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kwfzBqVwU7I

1 comment:

  1. Hi Graham, I'm heading down this weekend. I am a total amateur to sea fishing. Could you throw a few pics of the rigs you use, just to give me an idea of the kit I need to bring. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete