Friday 24 April 2015

Dodging the fog in Inishowen.

Hi all,
With the weather being excellent the last few days How could I resist a day afloat.
I had planned to try for tope in the Foyle area but the fog was horrendous.
So went for a bash in Kinagoe bay.
The fog was out there to but I planned a session of hugging the rocks.

Foggy but fantastic scenery as usual.
Ye as always with the fog hanging over the rocks and the sea like glass, It was like something out of  and air brushed photo.
Those of you that are good at the photography would have had no time to fish trying to get it all on camera.
The kayak is a Profisha 525.
 
The Guillemots and Razor Bills  where busy picking there nesting spots.
 


I was there to fish but its easy to get distracted here.

Get back to the fishing.
Ye I nearly forgot I was out to fish there for a minute.
At this stage of the morning  it was 2hrs before high water so prime Pollock time.
First up was the old faith full jelly worms, I fished them deep, shallow, fast and slow with little interest. I persisted at slow and deep and only managed a few half hearted taps on the jelly's.
So it was time for the big guns.
Some fine rag that a kind gent gave me them last day as he finished up on the water.
Down they went to the bottom, a 20g jig head with a jelly worm as a weight as I had no very small leads with me, 4ft of line to a size 2 chinu hook baited with a whopper of a rag.
A very slow retrieve resulted in the first fish of the day.
A small Pollock of no more than 12" long.
Well he saved a blank lol, I am not sure if he grabbed the rag or the rag grabbed him.
Another cast and a slow deep retrieve was made and half way up a very exciting tap, tap, tap on the rod was followed by a fine diving run.
The fish gave a good account of its self and half way up again a power full dive back down.
I had visions of a 7 or 8lb Pollock coming up.
But it was 2 Pollock of a couple pound each. Brilliant fun on the light rod.
I got this rod from Terry Jacksons page for entering a write up about our skate trip.
Cheers Terry I love the rod. That's Terry's link below well worth a look.
//www.angling-ireland.com




                                 The dry suit I am wearing is a typhoon PS220 Extreme.

I fished away here and only managed smaller Pollock until the tide eased up a lot.
The fishing totally eased and with the weather ideal for some exploring.
On the far side of this bay is a spot from our boating days which was the mecca for Pollock.

The Dutch man.
To hell with it, I thought its just across the bay. All 2.6km of it.
No a huge distance but its one hell of a spot for strong tide.
But to be honest it was an easy paddle in the stealth and didn't take long. By now the fog was hovering about 80ft above the water so it was a fantastic paddle.
Here's a pic I thought I would never take from a kayak. The Dutch Man, this spot can be unreal for Pollock but on the ebb tide in April there was nothing happening only small Pollock not a lot over the 1LB mark.

 
 
 

This spot brings back some memories of days gone by.
I will be back here in the summer for sure.


It was a brilliant day weather and touring wise, a couple of alright Pollock made it a great day afloat.
From the Dutch Man to my launch spot was also 2.6km and a leisurely paddle back took me 25 mins so I was happy with that. I took it handy and made good time.
So it was bad enough dreaming of monster tope in the coming weeks and now I am dreaming of monster Pollock from an iconic spot.

So thanks for reading every one. I hope you like the pictures as much as I did taking them.
Until next time tight lines and paddle safe folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment