Wednesday 22 April 2015

A few sessions in the fine weather

Hi all,
The weather has been great the last short while and as per usual I do my best to make the most of it.
Mike and myself organised for a session at the tope hoping to see if there about yet.
Mike was due down 2hrs before the low slack water at about 11am.
But I was itching to get out so I hit the earlier tide.

Well the birds are in,
I was down 2hrs before high tide and I paddle out to my mark and the first thing that struck was the amount of bird life and porpoises that where about.
They where every where. I saw at least 5 porpoises.
I anchored up and got the baits down and as usual I had a rod down with the camera on it. The tide came and went with hardly a tap on either rod.
 I had a look at the camera when I got home and a few dabs and flounder came and went and where hardly bothered to batter my baits.
Which is unusual, they are normally like savages here. But there was an easterly breeze blowing on and off the last week so that may be dulling there appetite.

 
 
Change of plans.
But it was a brilliant morning even if there where no fish biting.

At that I headed in to meet Mike and we decided to head out to the coast in search of tope and other stuff.
We got there and a stiff easterly breeze had got up but we where keen to get on the fish so out we went.
As the tide was running with the wind it was calmer than it would be when the tide turned.
We anchored and it was apparent from the start that where not going to be out long  as the weather and sharp chop was battering us.
My light line was down about 5 mins with the yellow euro champ rig when a welcome rattle came and an unusual fish for this spot came to the kayak.

It was a nice short spined scorpion fish.

But by now in this short time the wind had gotten up even more.
So with the tide easing and soon to turn it was due to get a lot worse out there.
So we headed in for some fun with the coalies.

Coalies, let the fun begin.
In no time we where in to some great fishing. Mike was on the feathered rigs and I was using the jig heads on the light rod for some added sport.
What a laugh, they are a mental fish. They go like hell on light gear.
After a couple of great hours sport I switched to the camera rod and trolled that around and trying a few thing.
I wanted to test the single hook against the treble hook as I am not a fan of the treble hooks on lures.
Well there's a video below and the results speak for themselves.

Also some Eddystone Eels.

They fairly loved those rubber eels. That video above is all taken from one 20min clip.
So that day ended and it was a cracker even if the fish where hard to find at first.

So thanks for reading, and tight lines.




No comments:

Post a Comment