Monday 12 May 2014

Ocean kayak trident, home made center console tackle box.

Well it has been tough to get out at the moment with all sorts going on and brutal weather, So as per usual it was time to hit the shed, this time for a tackle box revamp.
I made one before but I used the kayak and moulded it around the hatch which left it difficult to make and very difficult to keep it tidy looking.
This time I made a mold for the top section so it ended up easier to do.
Here's some pics and of how I started and finished. I made 2 this time one for myself and one for the brother since he has been infected with the kayak angling bug also. 
As with the first box I used a water for the body of the box and made a mold for the top section and fiber glassed them together.

Here's the lid mold, for those of you that have done this before you likely can see my first mistake.
I should have sanded all that paint off instead I gave it a firm sanding but not enough.
Still none the wiser to my mistake, all was about to be revealed.
In the words of Del Trotter, you plonker. All the dam pink paint stuck to it.
 
 
Thankfully not all was lost a bit of sanding and she was as good as new.
 
The pre-molded box was put in place and marked for joining together.
I also had to check the over lap as we don't want any water getting do we lol.
After a glassing together and a finish coat it was ready for a lid. The lid mold was made about 8mm wider than the outer edge of the top of the box. This made it a neat fit. With roughly 3mm of lid on each side.
 
This time around I put the longer flat section near me for a chopping board and I should still have room for a rod holder.
 
Luckily enough the tray from the dry box fitted nicely , all I had to do was chop off the handle.
Here's the brothers one, a dodgy green to match it with his green trident.
The box is slightly sloped as the center hatch is also sloped in the trident, this way when fitted the box should be almost flat.
Just add water and fish.
So have ago yourself  it isn't that hard. I takes about 5 litres of resin and a about 2 meters of mat.
That's for 5 layers. I made mine heavier as it may be attached to a tope this year lol. Not a spot for a tope to swing from, he could capsize you very easily.
Well until next time tight lines every one.

2 comments: