Thursday 15 May 2014

Cracking evening in Donegal

Hi all,
I managed to get out despite a poor forecast. At this time of year I have tope on the brain but with the forecast any chance of looking for them off shore was out the window.
I leisurely got out of bed this day and decided I would dig some rag and hide around the head lands and try for wrasse and Pollack  as Anthony Byrne from Dublin had some nice wrasse recently so that was encouraging. And we all like a bash at the hard fighting wrasse.
I was down digging bait and it was flat calm and I was cursing the forecast as it was meant to be at least 15mph at this stage.
In any way I got a decent few rag and away I went to a local in shore in search of wrasse and Pollack.
I landed there to a flat calm bay, not a ripple on the water and all I could think I was I should be out at the tope.
But sod it, it was a lovely day in Inishowen and I was going fishing. It was great I paddled out and dropped a jelly worm from shamrock tackle and trolled that down near the bottom as I went out.
It wasn't to long before the rod registered a TAP TAP and zzzzz, Class a nice charging run from a modest Pollack. It was a good omen since it was low water slack.
It was great to see a reasonable Pollack straight away but with all this rag I was busting to hit  the wrasse. Again the line wasn't down long and I got a wrasse about 1.5lb.
 
But that was apart from 2 or 3 more very small wrasse. So I wasn't sitting there all day for nothing ad went at the Pollack with the intension of going back to the wrasse.
I put a flowing trace with some nice rag on as I had a good few and the wrasse where quiet.
I wasn't long down and I had Pollack every 5 to 10 minutes. But as the tide strengthened the quicker they came. At this stage the day was flying in I was catching away at Pollack and the next 4hrs seemed like 10 mins.
 
 
All the while I had the glow worm rig just lightly trailing behind me, As  reeled in Pollack after Pollack they would sink half way down, And I was hoping for an odd mackerel or sandeel.
And on one stop these 3 came up high in the water and nailed them. 3 in the one go It was good craic.
Shortly after and time was cracking on I again dropped down the flowing trace and very unusual for this spot whack a wrasse on my rag and flowing trace. I was delighted to see him and out the line went again and again I got another.
 

I was thinking it's time for the proper wrasse gear here but the tide was flying so I went back to my usual wrasse mark. And on the paddle there I got 1 mack on the trolled rag and 1 on the glow worm rig.
 I got to my mark and I had wrasse after wrasse 11 in total for the day I think about 7 on this stop on the way home. This beauty took a medium rag on the glow worm rig from shamrock tackle. He gave a great fight and a fantastic way to finish the day.
 
Well it was meant to be the end of the day but you know the last cast. This day it lasted for 25mins and 3 fish lol. It was far to nice to go home.
It was a great day out and with Irish kayak angling's Donegal meet coming up very soon it is a great sign even if the tope don't show.
So thanks for reading and hopefully I'll see you's in Donegal enjoying the fishing and the scenery,
In Inishowen co.Donegal.
Tight lines and Paddle safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment