Tuesday 15 October 2013

Ocean kayak trident 13, Home made center hatch tackle box.

My ocean kayak trident rod pod tackle box instalation.
What have I done :roll: :lol: . Well I finally got my lovely trident 13 the other day and as the weather was totally crap I decided to do all I needed to do to it now as when the weather fares I'll be out as much as possible. I love the idea of the rod pod but not keen on opening it every time I want something. So after seeing a nice job of a water proof box fitted through the top of the lid by another angler, I thought I had to try something similair.
Well this is what I done the other day, I made a rough mould of my plano box. I just covered the box in spray on frying butter to stop the fiber glass from sticking to the box.














Then just fiber glassed over the top of it.It can be tricky but just don't put to much on.
A rough shell made and ready for some more molding.
















To get it off I simply shoved the garden hose down the side and turn the hose on and off it came with a bit of help.
Tackle box put in position. Ready for the next stage.

Photo0224.jpg
 

.







 
 
I added some cardboard for support untill the fiber glass goes off
 
 













First stage of fiber glassing done.


 











So every body cross there fingers and toes and hope it works out, if it doesn't work sure its only about E15.00 worth of stuff.so its worth a try. Another coat of resin and some pigment will finish it off. Oh and I'll add a lid.
.
Well it did work out, a few layers more and some resin with pigment and we are nearly there.
So some sanding and a final coat.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Its a tad rough but a nice shiny lid will finish it off.
 
 
Heres how I made the lid, its simply a few pieces of timber nailed to a piece of ply, simply spray on your mold release and glass away.
 
Before I remove it from the mold I simply trim edges with a grinder with a 1mm disc in it.
Please remember to wear safety glasses and a decent mask as the dust is very nasty.

 

It seems to be very handy your most used stuff at your finger tips, very handy on a rough day.
You will notice the edges of the box are raised so when the lids closed and a lump of water lands on top of it the water does not run into it.
I also had a go at making a lid with our club logo glassed into, it was a material badge. It sort of worked out but could be alot better. It moved slightly and had some air bubbles but with some practice it is possible.



Well 4 months on and its a great job, so handy no routing for gear and can be used for a live well to.
So have a go its quiet easy, when I get around to making a tidier one I'll post the pics.
So till then tight lines.

Heres a vid of the tackle box in use you can see how handy it is. In case your wondering the kids where taking turns in the back. Great bit of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment