Tuesday 26 May 2015

An epic weekend of tope firsts.

Hi all,
I am writing this just getting over the buzz of an excellent weekend on the water.
I had Mike and Brian up for the weekend looking to bag there first tope from a kayak.
I was as usual after something a little different.
It started with me bagging 4 tope in 2 short trips over the last week.
So the call was made, if you want one get yourselves up here.

Dodgy weather.
The lads where game for anything that Donegal could throw at them and they arrived in Donegal Friday night. So general fishy stories and the usual yarns where flying as we all tied various tope rigs that where so good, after a beers we where mystified why the tope where not knocking on the door for them lol.
But as per usual the weather was being not so kind to us and the only real weather  window of the weekend was from first light, 4am until about 1pm.
The lads where advised to get out for first light as it was close to the prime time for a tope and with the weather it may be there only chance.
So no bother to Brian and Mike, they where up and away before I was out of the bed for work.

A long day in work.
Oh I had a long day in work the lads where anchored on my favourite mark in perfect conditions and I was in work, yes it was torture lol.
I couldn't bare the wait any longer and I had to give them a ring when I was on a break.
Well it was the news I had hoped for. The lads already had a tope a piece and they where buzzing.
The 2 of them where delighted with there fine catches.
But there was more good news when we met up, Mike had gotten another.
Thankfully my day came to and end and I was busting to get out, but it was not a great stage of the tide to hit them. So I had to wait until 4pm and watch the poor weather and the strong tide roll in.

Would I get out at all.
I was busting for a go at the tope and the breeze had gotten up and the tide was running at a serious rate.
The 3 of us set off together at a fierce pace and headed across the foyle. We where busting a gut to get past the light in the river.
Thankfully it was a bit easier as we got half way across.

Anchors away, away, STOP lol.
We lined up and dropped anchor and thankfully Mike's anchor and mine held first drop, but unfortunately Brian's slowly carried on past us.
With the tide flying Brian had 2 more attempts and had to abort the third time and head for the shelter of the shore.
We sat tight in the tide and braced ourselves for some action.
But it was very quiet for a long time.
The prime time in the tide had come and nearly gone when Mike got a half hearted run that ended in a dropped bait. 20 mins later the same again.
I on the other hand had not gotten a tap.
I soon saw why, Mike had a chum bag like Quint out of the JAWS film lol.
Hopes where fading and with nothing but poor quality bait left we where about to give up when I could see Mike dive for his rod, then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ went his reel.
Mike roared those fantastic words.

FISH ON.
Yes Quint I mean Mike was in to a steam train of a tope, it went berserk.
It run all over the place and click of the drag Mikes smile got bigger.
In no time he had the beaut subdued and on his lap for a classic trophy pic.
Well done that man.
  A cracker of a male tope of about 28lb to 30lb. The smile says it all.
Well that was the last we run we had,
So home we went and even though I blanked it was great to see the lads get what they came for and put a decent effort in to catch them.
The forecast was a shocker for Sunday so the lads more than happy with there epic days fishing headed back home with a fine days fishing under there belt, again well done lads.
No doubt they will be back soon.

Mondays bash coming soon with a vid you may like.
Thanks for reading, and tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment