Tuesday 10 March 2015

Sea symposium promo vid run out.

Hi all,
Well today was our second attempt at getting some video for a promotional video for the Inishowen sea symposium.
We had planed to launch on Monday but with winds reaching 60mph and 16ft swells it had to be cancelled.
So with the winds to drop to 25mph and the swells still at 14 to 16ft on Tuesday we decided to give it a go.
So we launched in the supposed  shelter of Kinageo bay.
So everyone got ready, cameras set kayaks rigged.
Brian was down to see us go out so Adrian , John, Simon [camera man]
and myself headed out.
 
 
Not as sheltered as we had hoped but with some encouragement from Adrain and John out we went.
The swell was massive at the outer edge of the bay. It is the biggest swell I have willingly gone out in. Adrian reckoned the swell was 4.5M a brute of a swell.


This was my first launch between rocks into a surf. Thankfully they where far enough apart that I didn't have to bust trough any small breakers and I got out with out to much fuss.
So out we went and the swell was a lot bigger than I hoped, and with that the majority of the Pollock marks where out of bounds.
Especially this one, one on my favourite marks in this bay.

This swell didn't phase the sea kayakers, but I was shitting it when ones like this rolled past lol.
I am not use to swells of this size. A good few of these swells you where paddling up the front of them as they came past.
We did fish for 3hrs and it was tough, I tried a few things, from jelly worms to rag and even lug on the sand. But dam it was tough going. Paddling trough the swells wasn't to bad but changing rigs and routing for your gear while trying to watch for these big rollers was another matter entirely.
It was fun and with experienced sea kayakers paddling about it was a new and between the odd hairy moment it was good fun.
So with that we headed back in to shore, our launch spot was trough a gap between the rocks. The thoughts of making a surf landing between a rocky gulley filled me with dread to be honest.
But I watched Adrian do with ease and John said just pick lull in the waves and paddle in on the back of one. So it was my turn and 3 people on cameras watching our landing for some added pressure lol.
I saw a lull in the waves and went like a shot trough the gulley, it worked out nicely and I got in also with out much fuss thankfully.


So all hands in and it was now down to Brian to cook some nice fresh fish.
With that we headed for Moville for some freshly bbq fish.
So with out delay Brian got cracking and got the fish filleted and on the bbq.
Its not very often you see fish being cooked on a bbq on the sea front in march in Donegal,
But no bother to Brian knock up in no time and we had a nice bit of fresh fish with a freshly made salsa.

 
So all in all it was an enjoyable day. Big thanks to Inish Adventures and Brian The no salt chef.
Thanks for reading everyone I hope you enjoyed it.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment