Tuesday 3 May 2016

While I'm waiting on the tope.

Hi all,
As the title says, since the weather was to dodgey to heading to far from shore in search of tope I head to a local in shore mark.
I was hoping pollock and wrasse but fishing the ebb tide it was never going to be a bumper session.

Something new.
I had some nice fresh rag with me and the usual assortment of feathers and some new soft lures from http://www.fish-dynamix.co.uk/ . Their that new they don't have a name or packaging lol.
I am as bad as most anglers always looking to try something new so it will be interesting the try the whole range out over the summer.

On my pollock mark.
I got on my Pollock mark, But today there was an unsual amount of coalies on the mark. Lots of them hitting the feathers when I was looking for mackerel.
Great to see a hard fishing fish about but a bugger when your after Pollock or mackerel.
So the feathers I use for early mackerel is the bleeding glow worm rig. Always a killer for early mackerel and herring. But it was a waste of time with the coalies around. So it was on to rag on a flowing trace or soft lure.
By now the lovely sunny day had turned to over cast and quiet breezy. But I was alright sitting aound the head land out of the breeze.
As the tide was running very fast I decided to anchor and tried the new lure with a 1.5oz lead head. I fished it for 30 mins with not so much as a tap.
So it was onto the rag,  but as the breeze was getting up all the time I didn't route out a boom I just run a line from above the jig head and use it as a weight as it was an ideal weight.
So rag down and fished very slow and deep and as expected on my second cast and retrieve I got the bump bump and take of a lively little pollock. I was sure he took the rag but no he took the new lure fished dead slow and deep.
Which surprised me, it did have a rub of the smelt wand on it too so that may have encouraged the take when fished so slow, I'm not sure yet.

No beast by any means but it was encouraging to see him on the lure when there was a nice rag worm behind it. 
Another couple of casts later and another classic pollock take with a much feistier fish this time and nearly up and another burst of life and a tustle and up came 2 pollock one on the rag and one on the lure.

The better fish was on the new lure, with a little one on the rag. Seems the better fish took the lure before the rag again. May be coincidence but some more testing in the future will give a better picture of how the new lure is working. I have a right few to try out so its going to be fun trying the them all. 

Getting very windy.
By now the wind was kicking up rightly and it would soon be time for home. I had to try the wrasse before I went home so I whacked some rag on the glow worm rig and let that sit while spun for pollock.
It was down only a short while when I had my first wrasse.
Another 20 minutes passed and I hadn't another bite from pollock or wrasse and as the wind was howling by now it was a pain fishing at anchor. So lines up and in I went. It was a tough paddle in and I was glad I didn't go out to the tope or I would have had a nasty run in for sure.
Mind you when I got back on the shore the wind was totally missing the beach. Typical. I should have went after the seatrout.
But sure I had edible size pollock for the dinner and got at least one new lure tried out so it was a good run out despite the weather.
Until next time tight lines.

2 comments: