Tuesday 6 October 2015

Making the most of a settled spell.

Yes the wind actually settled for a little while last week.
So with cabin fever starting to settle in I was ready to hit the water.
Out to my launch site near Malin head, and the tide was the lowest I have ever seen out there.
Also some clown had the slip block so it was a long carry down to the water,.
But karma was on its way as the ejit came in expecting to be able to get out of the water at low tide of the biggest tides of the year lol. He had about 2hrs of a wait lol.

Get out there.
Ye the tide was very low so the kayak was dragged off the slip and across the weed to get to the water. Mad seeing the place like this. Its normally at least 4ft deep here at low tide.

 It was a slippy carry to the water.
 As the tide was low bait gathering options where not going to be great, the coalies and Pollock are very tough on an ebb tide. Today was no different. I didn't hit 1 coalie or Pollock on the way out nor did I get any mackerel. Never have I seen the mackerel so bad. even quiet years they are every where at the end of September.

Anchors away.
Out to what I had hoped was spot for skate and squid and all I had was a rank ling and some frozen macks and squid. But the macks where not what I thought they where. They where macks from the last session put back for chum. Oh I could have cried the first chance in 2 weeks and all I had was squid. Not the best bait here by far but it was better than nothing. I did have an ace up my sleeve in the form of the new fish dynamix attractants.

First out was the stinking ling down for a skate. I had hoped a skate would be mad for the smell of it.
Then the light rods first a small set of feathers with tiny bits of squid on them for macks and scad.
But there was not a tap on it so. So light rod 2 was sent down with a set of rainbow warriors with bigger bits of squid with a good lick of the sardine bio edge.
It had hardly hit the bottom and the rod was hopping. a quick strike and up this lad came a nice red.

 
Rod down again and again a nice red.


 Not a bad sign for low tide, so I whacked the camera on the line hoping for more gurnard.
But no they where away, but a few minutes later a grand ling came to the kayak. I got him on camera.

As I didn't have any shark baits he was impaled and sent out on a balloon.

Oh so quiet.
But then every thing went quiet, very quiet.
A couple of doggies and that was it. I realised there was something more substantial down there so I took the camera in as I didn't want it to get eaten.
With that I stuck half a doggie on the skate rod to see would that coax a monster to the hook but no.
I didn't get a touch on it.
The rest of the day went pretty much like that. I had planned to stay on into the dark but the conditions worsened and it is not the place to be in choppy conditions during the day never mind in the dark.
So for once sense prevailed and away I went for home, paddling under a fantastic sunset.
It was great to be out.

Home I went a bit disappointed about the result but I was happy enough.
Of course I was itching to check the video and what do you know. It was deja vu.
Out of the clear blue came a skate and spent his whole time bashing my rig with the sardine bio edge wand scent on it. I couldn't believe it. It was no more than 10ft from my skate bait.
Hey sure that's fishing. It'll just be all the better if I get to battle him again. The video is below
I hope you enjoy.
Just a note of safety, the temps out there have dropped considerably. So even if its warm on the shore you'll need some extra clothing out there.
 


Until next tight lines,

No comments:

Post a Comment