Tuesday 7 October 2014

Mullet has to be done at least once a year.

Every one.
As per title I had a trip down home to the east coast and lucky for me the new kayak a scupper pro [more on that later] landed the same weekend so I got to try it out and have a crack at the mullet on my old stomping ground.
It was a tad late in the year for this venue but there was still a reasonable few mullet about.

The Nanny river.
So a plan was hatched to meet up with Anthony Byrne at Nanny river at 6.30am on Sunday morning.
Well we met there bright and early, it was cold but what a morning a fine sunrise spurred us on out onto the water.

It was great to be back on the Nanny, with a rising tide and calm it couldn't of been better.
We had a short paddle around the basin and there where some mullet getting ready to run up. But no where near the mid summer numbers. Saying this an afternoon flooding tide is always better at this venue. 
 On up the river we went and I left Anto anchored beside one of my favourite spots that attracts some fine mullet at the early stages of the tide. While I had a reci about to see how the mullet where running.
Only small numbers where coming up so drifted a few baits past them to no avail.
I left them after 20 mins and went to see how Anto was doing and there wasn't a mullet near him.
We put this down to the anchor chain. I reckon the chain was rattling in the tidal flow and put them off as they hit this spot every time with out fail.
I went across the river and threw some bread about to try and the mullet going. Thankfully a few mullet took some bread but they where far from in bread feeding form. They at best had 1 or 2 bits each before leaving. I had my line out and was about to re-cast as Anto was coming over for a shot at them when I saw a mullet come up for a gentle take. He let it go and came back and after a few seconds of playing with it my tiny float took a shift and I truck into a mad bugger of a mullet. He run like a tope and poured line off the reel. If we where in a harbour I would have said there was a seal after him. He took a good few screaming runs and I had a nerve racking fight, as my heart does be in my mouth for fear of loosing the first of the year. Thankfully I got the beauty in and got some nice snaps. Thanks to Anto for this pic. A nice fish of 3lb+
 
After that there wasn't a lot of action the mullet where active for about 15mins after this fish but that was it. The tide turned with out rising a whole lot and that was it. So we headed down to a spot where the flounder hang out and we managed 2 small ones flounder and endless crabs.
So with that Anto had to have ago at his re-entry drill as he hadn't had a go yet in the new kayak.
So a few re-entries under his belt with out much fuss and we where both happy with the day.
So hopefully next time Anthony will get his mullet.
 
So until next time tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment