Monday 11 August 2014

The hunt for mini jaws continues

Hi all,
With the weather forecast to be brutal last week end, I decided to have a crack at a lull in the wind.
The tides where not great I would be fishing the ebb tide most of the time, but sure you just take what you get.
So it was out to my usual spot for a hunt for various species from tope, spurdogs to gurnard and scad.
With an outside chance of a porgbeagle, at this stage my nemesis. They are tormenting me at the moment lol.

6.30am at the launch site.
I landed at my mark near Malin head with very little breeze and fairly calm looking sea. I was delighted to see how good it was. In fact I was quiet surprised.
So kayak readied and I was away,
All was not as calm as it looked. There was a dirty chop that hits you from all side. We call it washing machine chop lol, As it knocks you all over the place. Definitly uncomfortable but fishable so on out I went.
I would have loved to head out to a mark about 3.5km out but with the forecast giving nasty wind for 4pm. I stayed about 2km from shore.
I headed out getting some bait along the way and it wasn't hard there where lots of mackerel about.

Anchors away.
I got to my mark anchor down and chum bucket deployed.
With a few reports of some nice sharking coming in I had high hopes of giving the 50lb class rod a work out. So bait was floated off down tide with a flapper and fillet for extra scent.
So with that out of the way the tope rod and spurdog/species rod was sent down to see what was about.

Not very much.
Well there wasn't very much about to be honest, lots of doggies and mackerel but that was it. It was desperately quiet. But really sharks where the main order of the day. I had a fine slick going from the chum bucket so I was staying put.
The doggies where keeping me busy and as I sat there I saw a few strong swirls in the chum line which turned out to be a garfish, A single hook was sent down the chum line and after a few minutes he hit it only to come off at the side of the kayak,
I think these 3 where over for a laugh.

Tide on the turn.
I hoped as the tide turned that things would change and even though it was a big tide it took a long time to turn, must have been nearly an hour before the tide got up enough to turn the kayak against the slight breeze.
The tide had eventually got up to speed and my chum line had spread out a long way. I was still hope full of some action.
Soon after that I got a take on the tope rod and this time I had a slightly better fight and I had hoped it was a spurdog or huss, thankfully it was a nice little huss of only 58cm but nice to see him on a tough day.

I was sitting there with my balloon out about 40yards away and to my left what jumps, but a porbeagle shark, not a very big one, but a porgie of about 30 to 40lb. He came out of the and slumped down on his side. A nice site but be better if he had my hook in his mouth lol.
I was at the edge of my seat waiting for a hit. About 5 mins passed and not a nibble. So I got the feathers down for some live bait to see if that would tempt him.
I managed 3 very small mackerel so I lipped hooked him and floated him down the chum line on my lighter set up. It consisted of 50lb braid, 150lb wind on leader, and 400lb biting wire with an 8/0 Cox/Rawle meat hook.

He wasn't big but he was a lively fella.
Out he went down tide beside the other bait to see what would happen.
And with in 5 mins a rush of mackerel came across the water behind me, It actually made me jump. It sounds like a wave breaking lol, I also thought the porgie was after them but this happened for the rest of the day all around me. they seemed to be feeding on plankton and if a gull came near they would all charge off making a big rushing noise.

The wait.
Well the wait continued and that was the last I saw of the porgie, he didn't come up the chum line or circle around me , well if he did I didn't see him.
I fished on and the rod with the mickey fish rig on was catching away at doggies and I managed 1 scad compared to the previous outing where I had about 23. I also had a squid jig on the top which caught me 1 squid and I lost I did loose 2 squid but I think the doggies nailed them before I could get the off the bottom. Also this little sod came up twice each time I thought it was a squid so the 3rd time he was put in jail until I was going home lol.
As you can see the chum bucket had been emptied to try and tempt mini jaws in close so I was out of chum by now and with no sign of him , I decided to troll my shark bait along side the many shoals of mackerel charging around the place. I passed quiet a few with not joy so I set a short drift and fished the bottom with the mickeyfish rig. In no time I was hitting gurnards, red and grey and even hit a Pollack much to my surprise.
Nothing massive but nice to see when it's quiet.
Getting windy as predicted.
As predicted the wind was starting to kick up about 3.30pm so I trolled my big bait all the way in and some mackerel feathers picking up a few extra mackerel for bait on the way and hoping the mackerel action would bring the big fellas in for a look.
 
So no monsters this time, But I will be back and will try again.
So until next time tight lines and paddle safe.
Thanks for reading.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment