Tuesday 18 June 2019

From blank to an excellent session,

Hi all,
Thankfully we're getting a few breaks in the weather that are fishable.
So one day towards the end of last week I hit lough Foyle looking for tope.
Not only did not even get a take from a tope I couldn't even tempt tiddlers with chum.
The river was full of long strands of muck and dirt.
So it seems it completely ruined my chances.

A blast along the sea shoreline.
Since the Foyle was out of action I decided to try some rocky shore marks, first a short session of spinning along the shore then a drift across the bay and a rock mark on the other side of the bay was the plan.
Ten yards from my launch spot I began trolling a metal lure that works well while paddling at a decent rate, so I wouldn't be all day going across the bay. Halfway across the pollock were interested and I caught three pollock between two to three pound. Which was a good sign as the tide was in the first hour of the flood tide.

Happy enough I neared the end of my troll when I got some more interest in the lure, about four light taps then the rod arched over into a very energetic fight which had to be a trout or a coalie.
Thankfully it was a seatrout which after a quick pic was released.

Again I started to troll and I watch 3 good swirls come from the area where the lure was and as I reeled the lure near and a figure shot after it but missed it. I thought it was gone but it turned in a heartbeat nailed the spinner and done a backflip out of the water onto my leg and shot off with the spinner not attached to him, lol.

Time for the sand.
By now it was time for a drift on the sand towards my last intended mark.
I drifted for a good half of the bay with only 4 dogfish for my efforts.
So lines up and headed for some wrasse and pollock bashing, with a chance of a run out for some tope.
First I tried for the wrasse with my favorite rig two up and one down. Unfortunately, the wrasse were playing hard to get and the wind was making things very tricky.
So I went behind a huge rock to shelter from the wind and the wrasse rig went down and I began to spin with a 22g Sandy Andy from westin. The pollock were a fish a cast, the lure absolutely hammered the lure bumped along the bottom.



I was hoping for wrasse with this technique but I was only getting pollock. Although I was getting a lot of plucks as it bounced along the bottom.
Sure I wasn't worried and I was having a blast with thhe pollock testing my gear to the limit.
Since the pollock were feeding well, I thought I'd try and get some pollock takes on camera.
Boom rigged with camera 4ft of line and 8oz lead to keep it down as I trolled.
Well I didn't get far and the rod lurched over and although it's great to see, it is a bit of a squeaky bum moment until you get that fish clear of the bottom with your camera.
Clear of the bottom I thought great but no sooner had I thought that he was away back down again. Thankfully and to my extreme delight I had my first wrasse on a lure and it was a cracker, a lovely red colour and just over 3lb.


Happy as I thought I could be I the pollock action continued culminating in a mega-powerful take with multiple very strong runs a fine pollock of 8lb surfaced by my kayak and the hook was just sitting in the roof of its mouth. The soft part of the lure came off in its mouth and its mouth was big enough to put my whole hand into get it back lol.


I was getting the impression I may need to go soon as the breeze was freshening, despite the forecast saying different. I just glanced at the point of the rocks to see what it was like and the corner was pure white tops, not very big but a pure bugger to paddle in,. Seemed more water was coming over the top of me than under me lol.
Some extra exercise going home but didn't bother me paddling back with a big dopey grin on me with the days fishing.
Love those days afloat.
Thanks for reading and paddle safe out there.

1 comment:

  1. Wow sounds amazing and well written to... Very vivid. Enjoyed reading. Tight lines๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ

    ReplyDelete