Tuesday 5 March 2019

Lures rigging for porbeagle sharks

Hi all,
It's been a while as I have been posting on mad4yak, I still will be posting on mad4yak but I plan to keep this page up and running also.

Back to fishing.
It is that time of year again when we start think about porbeagle shark and tope. Though the tope will not really show up until May it is nice to get some rigs made and be ready to fish when the chance arrives.
The unforgiving Porbeagle Shark has by now landed on our shores leaving us all very keen to get out there and have a go.
I as always will be fishing from my kayak which currently is an Ocean kayak Trident 13, 2018 model.
This kayak is well able to do battle with a Porbeagle shark, as long as you are.

Though the biggest disadvantage is hauling large blocks of chum as most boat anglers do.
Instead I drop a shark bait halfway down and fish for what ever bait fish are around me at the time, this can be pollock, coalfish, herring, mackerel, whiting or cod. My favorites are coalfish and whiting, preferably around 3/4lb mark.

Saying this, nothing gets the adrenaline going more than a Porbeagle chasing a lure to the surface. It is a pure adrenaline rush. Literally I do be shaking with the adrenaline.

So heres how I have rigged a Westin Shadteez and how I plan to fish it.
First off was hook placement, as using large hooks will change how the lure swims.
 I am using 300lb single strand wire with 10/0 mustad catfish hooks. I had a little mess about with rigging it with the hook on top like you would if was a giant jig head. Though with the hook being so big it would no doubt swim upside down.
 I was convinced it would work with adding weight to the belly so I decided to rig it through the belly.
 With the wire re-positioned to the belly I wanted the hook tucked out of the way and not put the sharks off from taking the lure.
 With a sharp knife a slit was cut in its belly to allow the hook to be held in place and give a more natural presentation.
 Hook in, all that was needed was some glue and I was happy.
I added just one ounce to the nose on the wire before making the eye in the wire.
The shadteez though not weighted sinks quite well and the area I will be fishing will be no more than ninety feet deep the lure will have more natural when rigged as light as possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment