Monday 1 June 2015

Tope rigs, how I make them.

Hi all,
Here is a piece on how I make my tope rigs. Generally I use pulley rigs to keep the hook from dogfish and away from snags on the bottom.
This rig can easily be used as a flowing trace as well. You simply clip your main line to make it into a flowing trace.
I have done this in pictures as it is easier to explain.

The first 2 pictures is what you need.

 
It is important not bend or damage the wire when putting the wire trough the crimp.

 I use tronix pro wire as I find it excellent value and an excellent wire. It has not let me down once in the last 4 years.
I use a standard pliers with a blunt cutting edge to squeeze the crimps.

I squeeze the crimp 4 times across the crimp.

Again so not to damage the wire tighten the wire around the crimp first. Then I pull the wire back to the correct loop size.
 
Here is the finished loop crimped.

Adding the mono part of the rig. I like to tie it as I am not fond of mono crimps.

 
After you have tied the clip or swivel to the end you simply thread the length of tube on and 2 beads with your free running swivel in between them.
 
 I use a length of lumi tube as it helps to stop tangle and partly works as a boom.
To use as a pulley rig simply attach your main line to the swivel in between the 2 beads.
Here is a video of how to bait your rig.
Also how the rig looks when in use.


Fingers crossed you this will help you catch your own tope soon.
Also here is a video below of how much fun tope can really be.
                                  Thanks for reading and good luck on your next trip out
                                              So tight lines and be safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment