Wednesday 31 December 2014

Last blast in 2014

Hi all,
With cabin fever setting in a small break in the weather set the old head thinking of winter skate.
There was some swell forecast but I was hoping it would be a lazy enough swell for a bit of skate fishing.
Also I had the new waterwolf busting for its first outing as well.

Out I went to my launch site and first glimpse of the sea didn't fill me with confidence. Mist hovering along the shore line could only mean one thing, a decent swell breaking on the shore.
I went down and got ready and it looked fishable and it was possible the swell wouldn't be as bad on out.

On out I went.
So kayak readied and all the gear on including a bag of the finest chum stowed away I was ready for action.
The swell was interesting and my initial hopes of the swell being less on out was a bit optimistic.
I wouldn't normally anchor up in this size of swell but with the tide being strong and a decent swell the drift was wicked so it was anchor or go home. So 1.5 miles out anchor down and 1 rod down it wasn't looking good as instead of my line leading in front of  me it was heading behind me, which meant my anchor weak link had broke, Not so good.
Anchor up and I tried again. But that weak link didn't last any time at all.
So I tried a drift or 2 with the waterwolf and got it stuck twice. So after 2 minor heart attacks lol over thinking I would loose the camera it was time for more sheltered waters.
It was great to be out on such a fine day.

Sheltered waters
Well sheltered is an over statement. I still had the swell but a lot less tide.
My weak link was holding and I sent the rods down. One with the camera and with the shamrock sabiki muppets with a small boom on the bottom all baited with mackerel also some boobie beads added and one with a set of kilmore killers.
I sat there and I had a few nice rattles on the rod with the camera which I missed a couple of hits but I
was happy to see I could still feel the bites with the camera on. I could feel any bites with the gopro set up.
 

Not such a swell time.
With the tide and swell running across each other it was far from comfortable. In fact it was like a rodeo. Up down side to side every 2 seconds.
After about 2hrs of that I was getting a bit fed up and very little fish action it wasn't worth staying out. I was considering heading home when the camera rod got another rattle and fish on this time.
Up he came, a nice dab was dangling under my rig. With that I was hope full of some good action on the camera when I got home. So I fished on.

But the action didn't continue and all was fairly quiet. The swell was really getting up now and they where getting steeper as time went on.
I regularly try to get the swell on camera but it never shows on the camera lol.
The mist on the shore line from the swells breaking on shore.

Rodeo over,
It was time for home and the rodeo was over. Despite the coloured water I was hopeful of some  action on camera.
So home I went and checked the camera. Well as the camera descended down past the 40ft the light faded and there was just blackness on the screen. But the funny thing was I could clearly see my sabiki muppets on the traces glowing away in the darkness. Also the boobie beads that Trevor sent up where to my surprise making some serious racket in the water. I didn't realise how much they spun and rattle in the tide. So they will be on the rigs more often for sure.

So that was the height of the trip a nice dam a mini rodeo and although not much to see on the camera a valuable bit of info was gotten off it.

With that, that was my last trip of 2014 and I can't wait for next year I am looking forward to trashing the length and breath of the country on my Stealth Profisha 525.
Thanks for reading and I hope to see you all in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment