Tuesday 15 October 2013

The stuff of dreams 

Kayaks- myself on my prowler trident 13 and Declan on his wilderness kayak.

weather- was calm with low lying cloud.

Bait- mackeral

All started off poorly with the latest attempt to nab mobby dick, I had to work my day off so the earliest I could get out was 2pm :( .
I headed out to the venue with the dubby pre made in the back of the car and the whif off it was that strong if I had of parked in the car park I'd say the tope would have come out of the water after it :lol:
Declan was there ahead of me and chomping at the bit to get out . Declan had pollack on his mind and me of course at the very least tope and a few spurs.
Out we went and there was an off shore reef that I was telling Declan about so he wanted to try that, I went further to my mark in search of tope and spurs with an out side chance of a porbeagle.
The first spot I anchored up and I fished for 30 mins and not a bite, so I upped anchor and went out further. Anchor down dubby bag down on the anchor line and I was also chumming away on the surface.
This was a good move as with in a few minutes the rod started the old NOD, NOD screeeeaaaammmmmmmm Tope on :D , brilliant fight and strong I really enjoyed it,
tope tullagh.png
A nice tope to start the day.
As soon as he was on my lap Declan rang to say he was on shore and had to head home.
This is what I was doing when Declan rang.
tope tullagh kayak wars.png
A quick pic before he goes back.

Declan was happy as he had managed some nice pollack for the tea, not bad for his second trip on the salt. Well done Declan.
Another 10 mins passed and a lighter bouncier bite had the adrenalin going a I reeled down and struck and nothing but no sooner had I put the rod back down and wholop the fish launched himself at the bait and devoured it in a second. Hooked and landed and she was a nice spurdog of around 7lb. More chumming and another spur of similair sized was soon landed.
Photo0600.jpg
Small spur
 

And then the I got a nice take on the tope rod a very strong fish and he ran very well, actually to well I had not noticed that the spurdog had damaged my main line and I could see a pale patch of shaggy line being pulled trough the rings and as it made it to the end eye I could see it pullapart :( I was not a happy bunny,
There was no point in moaning, just re-rig and get it out again.
I was in the middle of rerigging when I got a take on the other rod, another nice spurdog coming up and as it was coming to the surface I could see another fish coming with him. At first it looked like a tope but I realised it was a spurdog and as I had the second rod on my lap I thought sure for a laugh I'll throw a bit of bait on it and see can I get him too. But by the time I got the bait on the hook he was gone so I thought.
I proceeded to bring the first spurdog in when the rod that had a bait dangling just under the kayak went BANG the second spur had come back and wholloped it and a very scrappy fun fight ensued ending with a nice specimen spur on my lap of 13lb 2oz and still a ten pounder over the other side All the while the porgie rod was sitting there fishing away like it has done for the past 2 summers and after a long wait it was about to finally pay off.

THE TAKE,
DIN, DIN, DIN.
I was sitting there laughing my head off at the craic at the spurs when the Porgie rod started to peel off line. :shock: :o :o :D .
I grabbed the rod and started to try and set the hook but the porgie had other ideas.
Imediatley I could feel the strenght of it, My specimen spur riggled over the side, and the battle commenced.
I was still trying to set the hook but the porgie still had other ideas, he turned and charged at me at an impressive rate and passed under me and kept going, You never seen a kayak turn 180 so quick in your life :lol: .
And the bugger done this 4 or 5 times during the fight, But he could fight. On a few occassions he just ran in a straight line towing me at 1.2 knots when the anchor was out and against the tide :shock: . I was starting to wonder how big it was going to be.
During this battle a frantic call was made to the brother David and if you haven't seen the vid it went along the lines of DAVID, DAVID I got a PORGIE I swear to f##k :lol: .With that the porgie decided to but in on the call and swim even harder :D .
The call was dropped, but I had to call back to get him to stick on face book to ask was any of the other lads about in boats to give a hand, But they where in the same prediciment as me :D Excellent.
By this time I was managing to get the kayak closer to the porgie and I say the kayak closer to the porgie because at no time did I feel I was bring the porgie to me, I was hauling the kayak to him 8-) But by now the anchor was causing problems so I had to cut it away and mini jaws liked this and proceded to tow me at 1.7knots against the tide, who needs a motor :lol: .
Oh I was in my element being towed around by a hooked shark for 29 mins is fantastic :D,
By now he was starting to tire and I could see the yellow ballon from the previous trip that was stuck on the swivel at the top of my 10ft trace from the other day coming out of the water, and the most fantastic head shaking shape was starting to appear from the deep 8-)
I have to admit when you see mini jaws coming up like that you'd nearly loose controll of your bodily functions :lol: .
He looked class, head shaking and rolling like a mad thing.
At this stage the camera had been turned on and off twice so I would not run out of battery or memory card and I had thought when he gets near I will turn it on for the grand finale.
But I had not counted on how mental he could be, it was like trying to hold on to a bull that knows hes about to become a bullock. So there was no chance of reaching the forward camera.
But I thought ha ha the other camera is in the tackle box,
 I grabbed it only to see that it was pure fogged up as it was left switched on in the box. By this time, about 3 seconds. I  chanced the camera in only to get the porgie tearing off pealing line at a good rate and all that was on the vid was the yellow balloon going down, so then I threw the camera over the over the side of the kayak to cool the lense. I even tried to get a pic on my phone but just managed to get a pic of my 50lb class rod bent like a bannana.
Photo0603.jpg
Photo0603.jpg (58.86 KiB) Viewed 88 times

This was a short run of about 20yards and I got him back to the kayak and he was only about 4 to 6ft under the kayak and going balistic, camera was grabbed again but it was totaly fogged up so with the trace ring in the top eye and my short arms not long enough to grab the trace with out giving him slack he started to roll again and go mental, and as he rolled I heaved as hard as I could to stop him and as I did the trace came off his nose and spun the hook out of his mouth :( :( :( .
Porgie off and no pic :( , But to be honest I was not that upset , I was more bothered that I had not a single pic of him and he was gone.He was easily a good 80 to 90lb.
But as the big bugger came off the hook he straightened himsself up and swam ahead of me about 10ft and then tured and swam slightly up and I thought he was going to take the spur that was still over the side but no he carried on and looked very immpressive as he swam away.
I was delighted with the day and I hope to do battle with the beast another day.
Untill then heres the high lights on video of the few hours of unforgetable sport in Donegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment